Museum of National Resistance of Korischades
The historic village of Koryschades is just 5km from Karpenissi, a village of Evritania written in golden letters in the history of modern Greece, its historicity is the fact that, in May 1944, the Political Committee of National Liberation became the first national assembly of the fighters for the liberation of Greeks.
They were 176 Representatives National Ethnic Councils who were elected locally from Greek citizens in secret elections.
With the end of the work of the National Council, the resolution was adopted: "All powers come from the people and are exercised by the people." The Museum was declared a historic monument and a photo exhibition by the photographer of the National Resistance, Spyros Meletzis.
Today, old mansions are renovated in the village, and the population is no more than 20 people.
Museum of Old Mikro Chorio
Tel .: 22370 - 41023
The Historical and Folklore Museum is housed in the building of the former Primary School of the Old Small Village. The building was built in 1934 on an expropriated plot of 1,215 sq. M. And was rebuilt by a plan of the Ministry of Education,
with the personal work of the residents and materials from the area.
The Museum aims to rescue and spread the historical heritage of the Little Village of Evritania. All exhibits come from villagers donations and are exhibited in five halls. The visitor can learn about the administrative and socio-economic context of the 19th and 20th centuries for the public utilities, some of which are not saved today and about the life of the Mikrochorites in the village or the places where they were invaded.
The exhibits are presented in chronological and thematic series and show , family and collective life and activity of the village residents in previous centuries as well as their contribution to the struggles for independence and democracy from the Revolution of 1821 to the Second World War and The National Resistance.
The collections include historical documents, rich photographic material, names of fighters, dead, executed and victims, pictures of the occupation, the chronicle of the historic battle of Mikro Chorio, remnants from the printing house of the National Resistance, as well as domestic and rural equipment .
The Museum has a library, with books of Evritanian c interest in general.
At the entrance of the Museum there is a shop where visitors can buy memorabilia and books.
It is 16km from Karpenissi.
Folklore Museum of Megalo Chorio
Tel: 22370- 41502
It is an old stone mansion completely renovated, in three levels. The material exposed to it is an offer of the locals.
At the first level,you can admire the traditional occupations of the inhabitants of Megalo Chorio in a beautiful area, but also see household utensils and agricultural tools.
On the second level on the ground floor of the mansion, which is the entrance for the interior of the museum you will see the old clock of the village which was running continuously from 1926 to 1988, if one watches the watch carefully To distinguish the holes in his disc from the bullets of the Germans when they entered the village during the occupation.
On the ground floor there is also a modern Multipurpose Event Hall that serves the needs of the village as well as two representations of the localHouse.
On the third floor of the museum are hosted folk art items, traditional uniforms as well as the museum's library with more than 5000 titles of various thematic categories.
The approach is made by walking through the alleys of the village for 0.4km following the signs that lead us to the Folklore Museum of the Big Village.
It is 14km from Karpenissi.
Museum of Viniani Village
The imperative was used for organization and decision-making in local Free Greece during the German occupation led to the formation of the Political Committee of National Liberation (PEEA) on 10 March 1944, also known as the "Mountain Government" . The assembly took place at the school of historic Viniyan Evritania where the following were elected with the following axioms:
• Kostas Gavrielidis Secretary of Agriculture
• Stamatis Chatzibeis Secretary of National Economy
• Angelos Angelopoulos Secretary of Finance
• Emmanuel Mandakas Secretary of Military
• Georgios Siantos Secretary of the Interior
• Alexandros Svolos President
• Petros Kokkalis Secretary of Social Welfare
• Euripides Bakirtzis Vice President and Secretary of Food
• Elias Tsirimos, Secretary of Justice
• Nikolaos Asoutsis Secretary of Transportation
Today, at the school's premises, the Historical Museum of Viniani is hosted, mainly a photo exhibition of the time.
The museum is located in Old Viniani, which was abandoned on 6 February 1966 after a devastating earthquake, about 4.5km from Nea Viniani.
And 38 km from Karpenissi.
To approach the museum of Viniannis you have to disembark fromyour vehicle and continue down the stone steps that lead you to it.
Folklore Museum of Tornos Village
Tel .: 6979013258, 22370-80498 (Mr. Markos Spyridon)
The museum is housed in the renovated Old Primary School. It hosts exhibits such as old agricultural and household items, tools and utensils used for livestock farming as well as old tools It is 36 km from Karpenissi. Visit only after contact 6977216850 (Mr. Konstantopoulos Ioannis)
Museum & Monastery of Proussos
Τel. 22370-80717 & 80726 & 80705
Karaiskakis kept his headquarters there generally, not just for the six months that he stayed there as a patient. The rest of the time he was forced to plough through Roumeli. He even donated the silver cover of the Holy icon in gratitude for his cure from the ague during his stay in the monastery. Karaiskaki’s weapons are still kept in the Sacristy of the monastery.
A big part of the monastery was burned by the Germans on 16 August 1944, because it was a support center of the guerrilla’s during the resistance. Many relics, utensils, manuscripts and books were destroyed but thankfully not the precious icon of the Virgin Mary, which was hidden in a crypt.
During the 10th century Konstantinoupoli intensified its efforts for the Christianization and assimilation of the barbarians living on the Empire. Two adventurous monks, Dionysius and Timothy, following the commands of the Emperor and the Patriarchate, arrived in this wild place with the herding populations, full of enthusiasm and with one purpose : to make the residents Christians. To make the new religion acceptable, they erected a shrine and settled there, at that place where the sacred heart of the region was beating for centuries. Where the beat reflected in the souls of the Greeks and the barbarians. In the place where for many centuries was the –no longer existent- Oracle of Odysseus. They also lit a torch permanently, a torch that reflected its light on the rocks and charmed the locals.
Because of this torch the monastery built there in the 12th century was named ‘ the torch Monastery’ (“Orthodox book of Saints”: Gathering of the Virgin the one “in the Torch of Evrytania” on 22-23 August). In 1587 the church was destroyed by fire. Afterwards it was rebuilt immediately and was decorated with frescoes. The image of the Virgin Mary was created around 1600 A.C.
Within the centuries the name changed from “Pirsos” (greek word for torch) to “Mpoursos”. The name was considered inharmonious so, in 1845, the monastery and the village were officially renamed to Prousos Monastery and Prousos respectively (Government’s Act XXV of 5 December 1845).
The Monastery remained active over the years that followed, though its reputation was not very broad, because of the roughness of the region. In 1748 the monastery became Stauropegic.
Folklore-History Museum of Domnista
Tel. + 30 22370-71266
If you plan to visit Domnista, do not forget to visit the backyards before the village of Krikello. Here it took place in 279 BC. the victorious battle of the Aetolian-Evrytanians against the Galatian invaders. There is a monument to this.
At the Domnista Museum there are plenty of old objects and archive photos that will take you to the tradition of one of the most beautiful villages in Evritania.
It is 41 km from Karpenissi.
Folklore Museum & Library of Ag.Triada Village
Tel .: +30 22370 96373, +30 22370 96208
In the Museum there are traditional uniforms, objects and tools used in the old days.
In the village, you will find the Karapiperios library, with 8,000 books, is in the house of Chrysostom Karapiperis, a politician with an important work for Evritania, but also for the region.
The Library, named from the owners name, and the Folklore Museum are housed on the ground floor of the Karapiperis residence.
Near from Ag. Triada village is the village of Hochlia , there is the ancient settlement named,Gla, there the excavations have brought to light a bronze statuette, of Dionysus Got.
The Village has 426 inhabitants. It is 35 km from Karpenissi.
Folklore Museum of Granitsa Village
Tel .: 22370 61040, 61035
Granitsa village is the birthplace of Zacharias Papantoniou famous writer .
The museum was inaugurated in 1970 and features a large number of folk art items. The hall features portraits and personal belongings of Zacharias Papantoniou and Stefanos Granitsa.
In the museum you will find, the personal library of Zacharias Papantoniou, paintings by the great local folk painters Christos Kagaras and Lefteris Theodorou,
as well as the library and vestments of the pastor Papastefnou Theodorou, his personal items.
Also a wood carved cross from the Holy Land that is invaluable and a portrait by the son of Lefteris Theodoros.
Also exhibited are various folk art items, woven, wood carvings, agricultural and livestock tools, loom, local costumes and weapons of 1821 battles.
It is 83 km from Karpenissi.