Sights of karpenisi
The sights in Karpenisi are located around the main square with the age-old plane trees and the fountains. Paved roads lead the visitor from the peripheral parking lots to the center.
The name of Karpenisi, according to the most powerful version, comes from the gossipy word “c â r p i n i s i”, meaning a place with many maples or pseudo-plane trees.
But when we say Karpenisi we do not mean the town. It encompasses the surrounding area where the true sights lie!
Amongst many greek writers, Zacharias Papantoniou stands out because of his love for the region and the people that live here
He wrote one of his famous works "Ta Psila Vouna" meaning "The high mountains" for the region of Karpenisi
When we say Karpenisi, we don't mean the main town The term includes all the surrounding areas and villages where the true sights lie!
Back to nature
PANTA VREHEI CANYON
The crown of Karpenisi! The wedding cake of Evrytania! A unique experience crossing the canyon under the waterfalls that drip like it's always raining!
The gorge has 3 different entrances and is ideal for river trekking. After a 45 minute route you will come across the waterfalls where you can also swim!
THE SMALL PANTA VREHEI
Mikro Panda Vrechei, a small impressive canyon, in the village of Tornos. With easy access either through the village by following the path, or around it by car until you have to continue by foot. Like crystal rain, flowing waters create impressive waterfalls, while small rainbows form everywhere, which make the landscape look like a fairy tale.
ABELIA RIVER BEACH
There are two routes to reach the beach at Ampelia Evrytanias, one from the road to Proussos and the other from the route Milia, Sella, Fidakia. Wherever you go remember the narrow iron suspension bridge (type "Belly”) that is wedged into facing rocks. Below it is the beach.
Many deep-shaded plane trees cover the place everywhere, while the fine river sand creates a fantastic beach, right there on the Trikeriotis river, which in this narrow spot lazily flows its clear waters, which makes it ideal for swimming.
Precipitous with 8 large waterfalls, two over 25 m high, it is the right destination for adventure and adrenaline, especially for canyoning lovers. The Vothona-Karitsa gorge is very impressive, it is located on the road to Proussos, it starts from the village of Karitsa and ends at the Karpenisiotis river. It characterizes it as a whole, an imposing wild natural landscape while towards the end of the route it has lakes.
museums & monasteries
THE MONASTERY OF PROUSOS
Phone. +30 22370-80717 (& 80726 & 80705)
The Monastery houses an interesting museum with some of the treasures, such as icons from the 15th and 16th centuries, holy vestments, silver and gold chalices, handwritten codices, printed books and the sword of Karaiskakis.
The currently preserved frescoes were created around 1785. Inside the crypt, frescoes from the 13th century are preserved on the outside, while inside there are two layers, one of which dates to 1518. The wood-carved iconostasis of the crypt, which dates to 1810, is also very remarkable. .
The first Mountain Museum of Greece is located in Karpenissi and is dedicated to all mountain activities and to lovers of mountain destinations. It was created solely by donations from mountaineers, skiers and athletes who have distinguished themselves nationally and internationally in Mountain activities.
The Museum is spread over two floors. On the ground floor of the Museum one can see important objects such as from the first Greek Expedition that conquered the highest peak in the world and references to actions and the way of life on the mountain.
History & cultural museum of Evrytania
The main goal of the Center is to constitute a living organism through the concise narration of the history of Evrytania. The aim is to arouse the interest of visitors for further acquaintance through the whole of the historical, cultural, architectural, environmental and cultural tradition of the region.
The exhibition presents the evolution of Evrytania through time from antiquity to modern history with the presentation of important archival material and copies of important exhibits located in Greece and abroad. The exhibition includes modern audio-visual equipment and interactive media, which create a unique museum experience.
Museum of National Resistance
Phone: +30 22370-24996
The historic village of Koryschades is only 5 km from Karpenissi. It is another village of Evrytania that was written in golden letters in the history of modern Greece.
Its historicity lies in the fact that in May 1944 the PEEA (Political Committee for National Liberation) held the first national assembly of the Greeks fighting for the liberation at the village school. 176 National Councilors, who were locally elected freely by the Greek citizens in previous secret elections, participate in this for the purpose of their political organization, the work of the council lasted from May 14 to 27.
At the end of the work of the National Council, the resolution was approved: "All powers come from the people and are exercised by the people." The Museum was classified as a historical preserved monument.
FOLKLORE MUSEUM OF MEGALO HORIO
Phone.: +30 22370- 41502
The Folklore Museum of Megalo Chorio is housed in an old stone mansion, completely renovated, on three levels. The Material exhibited in it is a contribution of the locals.
On the first level one can admire in a beautiful space the traditional professions of the inhabitants of Megalo Chorio and also see household utensils and agricultural tools up close.
On the ground floor of the mansion, which is also the entrance to the interior of the museum, there is the old village clock which operated continuously from 1926 to 1988, if you observe the clock carefully you can distinguish the holes in its disc from the bullets of the Germans when they entered the village during the years of occupation.
The museum hosts objects of folk art, traditional costumes as well as the museum's library with more than 5000 titles of various thematic categories. You will find it by walking through the alleys of the village following the signs.
ΛΑΟΓΡΑΦΙΚΟ ΜΟΥΣΕΙΟ ΜΙΚΡΟΥ ΧΩΡΙΟΥ
Phone.: +30 22370 – 41023
The Museum is housed in the building of the former Primary School of the Old Small Village. All the exhibits come from donations from villagers and are displayed in five rooms.
The exhibits are presented in chronological-thematic order and show the individual, family and collective life and activities of the inhabitants of the village, in the previous centuries, as well as their contribution to the struggles for independence and democracy from the Revolution of 1821 to World War II and the National Resistance.
The collections include historical documents, rich photographic material, names of fighters, fallen, executed and victims, images from the occupation, the chronicle of the historic battle of Mikros Hori, remnants from the printing press of the National Resistance, as well as household and agricultural equipment, etc...
FOLKLORE MUSEUM OF TORNOS
Phone.: +30 6979013258, +30 22370-80498 (Mr Markos Spyridon)
The village is covered with fir trees, with its stone-built houses standing out among vines, which grow in terraced fields.
In Tornos the visitor has the opportunity to admire nature by following paths - routes, some of which are suitable for demanding hikers. All routes, from their beginning, are signposted.
The museum is housed in the renovated Old Primary School. It houses exhibits such as old agricultural and household items, tools and utensils used for animal husbandry as well as tools from lost trades. Visit only after contacting +30 6977216850
(Mr Konstantopoulos Ioannis)
MONASTERY OF DOMIANOI
The foundation of the monastery is probably placed in the 16th century. In the years that followed, it was set on fire twice, once in 1611, because the monks took part in the revolutionary movement of Dionysios the Philosopher, and once in 1770, in the events of the Orlofiki.
The entrance to the Temple is through 3 low wooden doors. The north door is known as the "Karaiskakis door" because it was through it that he and other leaders of the war entered and left in times of danger.
MONASTERY OF TATARNA
The Monastery is built on a slope of the Aidonorrachi, with an exquisite view towards the lake and the mountains of Valtos.
Today, the approach to the Monastery is from the road of Karpenisi-Agrinio, with a detour to East Frangista towards the northwest. It is 70 km from Karpenisi.
Rare and valuable relics are preserved in the two large halls of the Monastery, such as: the icon of the "Akra Tapeinosi", the silver-gold silk-embroidered epitaph of 1584, the work of Arsenios the Monk, silver wood-carved crosses, Holy Chalices, Holy Gospels (the first candle dedicated by the hero Katsantonis). There are still manuscripts of great value such as the discourses of Gregory the Theologian. The library of the Monastery is also remarkable